Presbyterian Church History

Church History

The Presbyterian Church of Wilmington, Ohio is one of the oldest churches in Clinton County, founded in 1823.

Members worshipped in private homes as well as at the Baptist Church in Wilmington.  In 1830 a sanctuary was built on the corner of Locust and Mulberry Streets, and enlarged in 1890.  In 1965 the church relocated to 223 Randolph Street.  We have worshiped here on Timber Glen Dr. since July 2000.

The Vision of the Presbyterian Church of Wilmingtonis the foundation upon which we as a congregation build our future as a community of faith. A vision provides us with the path to follow in order to put into practice our beliefs and our missions. A vision defines us as individuals, a congregation, a denomination, and a community. Without a unified vision we cannot move forward in a focused and defined manner in order to accomplish the goals we establish for ourselves. While our vision needs to be defined, it need not be restrictive, thus allowing it to be inclusive of our varied members, present and future, as well as allow us to adjust to changes in our collective environment. A vision takes into account our Missions and our Beliefs; what is and what should be in God’s world. By forming our vision we are able to bring these two factors closer together.

The community in which we live is evolving. We are a rural/urban community, blessed with quality academic institutions, a strong agricultural presence, a growing commercial base and increasing diversity. The face of our community is changing economically, ethnically and religiously. We are very active in our community working to spiritually enrich the lives of those around us through our witness to the love of Christ.

We can recognize the following strengths:

  • The education programs we have for our young children
  • Our church facility
  • The quality of our worship services
  • Our fellowship and social activities, the way we care for each other
  • The use of our facility by groups from our community
  • Missions that we have performed, locally and internationally

In order to be faithful to the leading of the Spirit we have developed these recommendations:

  • Growth as a spiritually faithful church
  • Growth in evangelism
  • Growth in mission

Staff

Pastor,
Reverend Stan Gockel
Stan was born in Dayton and raised in Beavercreek. After graduating from Beavercreek High School, he attended Miami University and Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, OK, where he earned a B.A. in Biblical Studies. He then attended Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA, and Northern Seminary, Chicago, where he finished his M.Div. in 1979. He did post-graduate study in the Seminary Consortium for Urban Pastoral Education in Chicago while serving as an intern at a United Methodist Church. 
Stan was ordained in the American Baptist Churches, USA in October 1980. He served ABC congregations in Indianapolis, Buffalo, New York, and Bluffton, Indiana. In 1999 Stan became the chaplain at Mt. Pleasant Retirement Village in Monroe, Ohio, part of what was then known as Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services (now Ohio Living). That was the beginning of Stan’s journey into the Presbyterian Church, USA. Invitations to preach in various churches of the Presbytery of Miami Valley eventually led to three years as stated supply pastor at Seven Mile Presbyterian Church; six years at Bellbrook Presbyterian Church, Bellbrook, Ohio; almost four years as interim pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Portland, Indiana; and two years, nine months as interim pastor/head of staff of Covenant Presbyterian Church, Springfield, Ohio. 
Stan is married to Libby Stanton, a retired elementary educator. They have two daughters, one son-in-law, and two grandchildren, with a third one on the way. Older daughter, Davy and her husband, Ryan live in Ann Arbor, MI. They are the parents of Harrison, 6, and Nora, 2 . Davy works as a Pilates/fitness instructor and Ryan is an environmental engineer. They are expecting their third child in August. Younger daughter Hannah recently relocated to Ann Arbor and when not being “Aunt Hannah” to Harrison and Nora, works for RoosRoast Coffee (www.roosroast.com) doing digital marketing and as a barista. 
Stan has served the Presbytery of Miami Valley as a member of the Network Support and Grants Committee and currently serves on the Leadership Council. In his free time he enjoys singing, reading, traveling, and bicycling.
 
Cristian Lewis,
Finance
 
Mary Zaycosky,
Administrative Assistant
 
Sara Maus,
Director Christian Education
 
Sandy Wiget,
Music Director
 
Liz McAllister,
Organist